Sunday, June 4, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

Sorry about no postings this week. I was working out of town this week and didn't have much opportunity to play poker or post anything. I was able to get some poker in at the local poker room over the holiday weekend though. Dan and I ventured down to the poker room on Sunday night hoping that there may not be as long a waiting list. Well, that plan may have worked except the poker room scheduled staff as if it were a non-holiday Sunday so they didn't have the full staff of dealers on hand. I was informed of a new policy when calling in to get my name on the poker lists. When calling in you now have 2 hours from the time you call to check in at the poker room. This is nice because it used to be an hour, and you'd get down there and have to wait usually an hour+ anyway.

So, I called a little after 8pm, found myself about 13 deep on the list, and decided to get down there just after 10pm, taking advantage of the full two hours since I knew I wouldn't be up on the list. When I got there, Dan was playing on one of the $5-$10 Limit tables. He appeared to be up a little. I also found that in the two hours since I called I had only moved up one spot!! They did have one open table and the poker room manager was calling all his dealers trying to get one to come in to open the table up. They managed to do this successfully, but I was still 11 down on the list and they were taking the first 10 people. Dan got a seat since he was in the first ten, and I was eventually able to get a seat since not all of the people on the list were in the poker room. We opened with a table of 7 people. I won the button with the high card deal, and since this was the feeder game for the main game, that meant that this table was now the new Moronville for the night. Everyone knows how I feel about Moronville. This table started out living up to that reputation. Dan was two to my left, which meant he was in the BB when I had the button, and I sort of felt bad about that because even he knew that I'd just be stealing his blinds if the opportunity arose. Dan took the seat two to my left because of a regular that happened to sit down at the game. Gus, an older gentleman, sat down to Dan's left originally when Dan and I had been on opposite sides of the table. Gus is a loose-aggressive player who Dan and I both know to play a lot of draws, and will bet and raise you out of pots with garbage cards. He's not the guy you want on your immediate left, but it's great to have him on your right, especially if you're smart enough to only get involved with him in a pot when you've got a strong hand.

The table started out with the "standard" raise becoming $20. With blinds at $3/$5 that was pretty normal, but what happened in the next half hour was NOT normal. Usually at the no limit game, and at Moronville in particular, the first raise is almost always called by somebody. With Gus there I thought that would be the case for sure. Tonight the first couple times everyone folded. Once I noticed that, I decided to test the aggressiveness/timidity of the table, and went on a run that had me laughing at the end of it:

From the cutoff (one off the button) - raised $20 with Kd 3d - no one called

From UTG (under the gun) - raised $20 with 9h 7h - no one called

From later position, Gus limped, so I bumped it to $30 with As Ts - no one called

From the button with one limper, I bumped it to $25 with 4d 5d and the limper called. The flop came T-T-J. The limper checked so I bet $60 and he laid his hand down.

In the BB, I found Qs Qh, with one limper already, I raised it to $20 and he laid it down.

From UTG I caught As Kh, bumped it to $20 and got a caller from the SB. The flop came J-J-5, and this time I decided to check behind the SB, who had checked in front of me. Everyone had seen me just lead out and bet, and I kind of thought this may not be the right hand to do that on for some reason. The turn came a 2, and the SB bet $15. That seemed to begging call me, so I obliged, not really knowing if I wanted an A or K on the river. Well, the river was a blank, and the SB led out and bet $50 so I was able to easily let that go there.

Anyway, this run of hands was hilarious. When it started I really wasn't expecting all the folds. I was more than willing to play a couple of those hands I raised with. Then I actually caught a couple of good hands, which is exactly what you want in that scenario, because you just KNOW the table was getting sick of getting pushed around. Now the AK hand didn't work out so well, but it was really at a minimum loss. I knew that with the table playing this way I was getting set up for a field day here. Then the worst thing that could have happened actually happened. A seat opened up at the main game, and they told me that I had to move there! I thought I was far enough down the list, but apparently they must have their own way of arranging the names for moving tables when they start a table out. I was so hacked by this because I could just feel the timidness of Moronville.

It was starting to get late, so after I got involved in my first serious pot at the main game I took off. Unfortunately I didn't win that pot and ended up leaving down $225 for the evening. So, after a $460 win two sessions ago I've now got a $57 loss and a $225 loss. The losing streak is never a good thing, but at least the losses weren't that big. I don't have much online poker plans for the week, but we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment