Monday, May 22, 2006

Brew Crew makes me Blue

The Brewers had a moderately awful weekend hosting the Twins. Unfortunately, I got to see a portion of that debacle as I went to Saturday's 16-10 drubbing of the Brewers. It was Scott's birthday this past Saturday so we spent the afternoon at Miller Park tailgating and drinking. We made it into the ballpark to catch the bottom of the 2nd inning, and the score was already 6-2 in favor of the Twins! By the 6th inning it was 13-4, and we had enough. We took off. Most people were still pretty tipsy from drinking all day so a lot of people were heading home. That's when I decided to make a run to the poker room.

I called from the parking lot only to find that there were 17 people ahead of me on the No Limit table list, so I got myself on the Spread Limit $5-$25 Table as well. There was no rush to get there, and when I did I decided that I should try and expand my poker horizons a little bit and I sat down at the 7-Stud $1-$5 table. Very little bluffing, but you have to concentrate a whole lot because there are so many face up cards. Definitely very different, and quite a bit of fun, too. I was doing rather well. I bought in for $100, and when I got called over to the Spread Limit table I was up $83.

The spread limit game was fun, but it's really hard to get people out of pots if there has been any betting preflop. Because the limit is $25, and you usually had 3 or 4 (or more) people seeing a flop, lots of people would call with anything. I had made top pair when the board flopped Q-high and I was holding K-Q, and I couldn't get a guy out holding A-J; then the turn came J and the river came Ace to foil my hand. All in all I had a good time. I ended up with a net loss of $57.

I also played an online poker tournament with 2490 players. I came in 84th, cashing a little over 3 times the buy-in. Unfortunately, that is where the "hand of the day" comes from:

Me: T-T, early position, 2nd largest stack at table (approx 185000)
Opponent: A-K, under the gun (UTG), largest stack at the table (approx 195000)
Blinds 3000-6000, Antes 75

My opponent raises from UTG to 20000, so I decide to reraise. Now with that kind of bet I could have reraised and not put all my chips in, but I was going to play this hand even if he moved all in because the big stack had been bullying quite a bit, so I moved all in first, figuring that would be my only chance to get him to fold. He called and the board was just cruel to me:

K-K-T-7-A

Giving me a full house Tens full of Kings, while he made a boat Kings full of Aces. With that flop all the money was getting in the middle anyway, so I don't think by just calling I would have been saved. Oh well. There's always the next tourney.

No comments:

Post a Comment