Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome to the 2008 WSOP!

Well, Dan and I are here! We've observed some of the $10K Pot Limit Hold 'em, and I got to spend some quality time with Jennifer Tilly. I happened to be next to her while she was registering for the same event as Dan and I. Unfortunately, it was after she had been knocked out of the $10K event. We talked for a couple minutes, and she was gracious enough to go over the details of the hand that knocked her out of the tournament.

Jennifer found herself a little light on chips after losing a large pot with pocket 8s in the hand prior. She was then dealt AQsuited, a player in late position had raised, and Jennifer thought the player was stealing so she reraised. The player then came over the top of that bet with another raise, and after Jennifer thought for a while and calculated that she was committed with her hand, she called with her remaining chips. Her opponent had pocket Jacks, and the flop was 8-9-T, with two of the suit that Jennifer had. Jennifer was pretty sure that she would have gotten it all in there anyway if she hadn't reraised preflop because of the gutshot straight draw, nut flush draw, and two overs. The turn gave her opponent the straight, and in poker cruelty, the river was what ended up being a meaningless Ace. She was knocked out, but she mentioned that she did outlast TJ Cloutier and Shannon Elizabeth. She may have mentioned something else about Shannon that I thought involved herself, Shannon, and me, but that may have just been me doing some daytime fantasizing at that point, too.

We discussed that a little bit, and she was telling me about some of the stuff she had done to prepare for Pot Limit poker because she hadn't played it before that event. We talked a couple more minutes, but I don't think she's leaving Phil for me...yet. We both drew a Sunday start date for Event #2, so maybe I'll get lucky and get another shot if we draw the same table. :>

...must focus on poker...must focus on poker...

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you got to talk to JTilly! Good luck to you both. I hope to read some good stories that lead to cashing...and fun too! Later.

    ReplyDelete